7.24.2009

Wedding Dress

This week Kelly is showing off wedding dresses so here is mine, worn almost 5 year ago today (our anniversary is next Friday.) I have very few digital pictures of our wedding (sad, I know) so please forgive the quality.

I found the dress my first day of shopping almost by accident. A few of my bridesmaids were in town and wanted to participate in the dress shopping. I wasn't even really ready to look yet, we were just having some fun. We found Traditions, a small bridal boutique then in Chapel Hill, NC. It was the type of place where the staff each focused on one bride at a time, served mimosas and M&M's, and didn't care if you spent hours in the store looking at only a few dresses. It was truly on of my best wedding planning memories.
I never really thought I would care much about my wedding dress, about 3 months and 80 dresses later, I realized cared quite a bit. I compared everything I tried on to that first dress, and no dress but that one ever really felt like my wedding dress.

The dress was from Canadian designer Lea Ann Belter. It was strapless with Alencon lace and saltwater pearls along the top of the bodice. I added covered buttons and loops down the length of the train that had to be hooked (and unhooked) with a crochet hook.


The dress was made from Dupioni silk and had a chapel length train; I used a French bustle for the reception. There was a bit of crinoline sewn into the skirt to keep the shape of the dress but it still felt like the dress floated (even in 98 degree July Carolina heat). Another trademark of Lea Ann Belter dresses is that she adds silk to the inside of the skirt of the dress so it is smooth and light against the skin.


So there it is. The dress is sealed and packed away, waiting for what I don't know; but I could never get rid of it. Oh, and the veil that I am flailing about in the top picture was cathedral length with a simple comb that disappeared into my "do". I had to wrap it around my arm to do our first dance because it was so long.

Another neat thing about the veil is that it has already been worn by two of my best friends in their weddings. I hear a borrowed veil is good luck.

2 comments:

  1. Love the dress and the bustle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful dress!!!! You made such a a beautiful bride, thank you for sharing!
    -Ash-

    ReplyDelete